Our History in Brief
Concord Presbyterian Church has been serving the Farragut-Concord community since 1798.
The original building, known as Pleasant Forest, was on Concord Road at the site of Pleasant Forest Cemetery. The church building was destroyed during the Civil War and members scattered. The members returned after the war and reestablished the church in Concord. The present building was erected in 1877 and has since been known as Concord Presbyterian Church.
We are excited about our past because it testifies to God's faithfulness; we are enjoying the present because we see God at work in our midst; we are thrilled for the future, because God has promised to finish the work he begins in those who put their faith in His Son, Jesus Christ!
In 1798 Col. David Campbell urged Rev. Samuel G. Ramsey of Ebenezer Presbyterian Church to encourage his congregation to organize another meeting house at a site called Pleasant Forest on Concord Road near Campbell Station. Rev. Ramsey’s congregation erected a log church on land deeded by Col. Campbell and molded two congregations into one with one unified session but with two meeting houses. The Ebenezer Presbyterian Church was known as Upper Grassy Valley Meeting House while the Lower Grassy Valley House of Worship met in Pleasant Forest. In 1833 the Union Presbytery accepted Pleasant Forest Church as a separate congregation.
The church prospered until the Civil War when Union Forces destroyed the brick structure that was constructed in 1835. Following the war the church reestablished itself in Concord from scattered members returning to the area. The current church building was erected in 1877 changing its name to Concord Presbyterian Church. Years of difficulty followed.
Without regular leadership, the church depended on the home missions committee to provide available supply ministers. A union Sunday School was all that sustained the church during this period. In 1946 a manse was built housing the first resident full-time minister to Concord. Growth followed.
A fellowship hall was dedicated in 1955. Concord renovated the sanctuary in 1960 and added a front porch in 1969. The church celebrated its 175th anniversary in 1973 followed by the 100th anniversary of the sanctuary in 1977. The manse was remodeled into a church office in 1993.
Concord Presbyterian Church joyously celebrated our 200th anniversary in 1998 with a well-attended Bicentennial Celebration. God has proven faithful through more than 200 years of ministry in this congregation. We look to the future in anticipation of the many good works that our Lord Jesus has prepared for our church family.